Thursday, April 28, 2011

A new generation of narcissists?

As I was dutifully fetching a snack for my almost 9-year old the other day, I had a moment of self-awareness I wanted to share.
We love our children, feel passionate about them, actually.  I recall a time during my first child's infancy when I realized that the love I felt for her resembled more "romantic love" than "familial love."  However, our devotion to our kids can trump our devotion to ourselves, to the detriment of us and most importantly, to the detriment of our children.
Our current generation of parents take time off of work to attend end of the semester "parties" or "shows" at the children's gym classes, feel the need for both parents to attend every sporting event in which our children involve themselves, throw ourselves into their activities, their friendships, their normal childhood experiences.  We cheer for them attempting a catch in baseball or scream, "good try" when they score an "own goal" in soccer.  But, our intense focus and devotion for our children create in them, the expectation that they are stars in their world and are deserving of everything they get.
It is my recommendation that we begin to pull back slowly.  Let the kids play on their own, don't break an important business meeting to get home to watch soccer practice, create carpools, let children play on their own without providing a "craft", and by all means, let your kids get their own snacks!

1 comment:

  1. So true! It's too harsh once they leave the nest only to realize they aren't the center of EVERYONE's world.
    JC

    ReplyDelete